Culturally Relevant

I'm a North Campus major. From a white American family. Majored in International Development Studies. I'm 23. The gospel for me is that Jesus is on a movement to love the poor and change the hearts of the rich.

But what is the good news for someone who's 45, been working at the same job for 20 years and trying to provide for his children? Or for a new doctor who's about to have a baby? Or for International students who miss their families?

Seven people showed up for a Bible study at work today! (And another one apologized profusely for not making it because his experiment took too long.) The whole lunch room was pretty crowded. Tian brought two of his friends. I nearly cried for joy. We talked about Zacchaeus, the tax collector. But I just couldn't help but share the gospel in the way that I knew how.

It was an awesome study. No doubt about that. We talked about curiosity and how Jesus honors that. How Jesus wants to get into our lives and use us to change the world. They want to come again.

But I still feel like there's something I'm missing. My world is so different from their's. How do I get into their shoes and show them that the gospel is actually relevant to their every day life in a lab at UCLA?

Hmm...

2 comments:

Yee Kay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yee Kay said...

what a great thing, bringing the gospel to the workplace! :) keep going, even if you don't feel you relate. Christ is always relevant...is it our place to make it as relevant to each individual as possible? But I also pray that He will give you all the wisdom, empathy, and agape love to serve those around you. :)